Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yes, there has been coaster after coaster tutorials across blog land. But I promise that this one will turn the most heads. Cost you less than $.66 cents each and is easy peasy to make!





 


Here is what you need to gather up first.






Tumbled Travertine tiles
Mod Podge
Sponge Brush
Artist Acrylic matte Gel Matte Medium {Hob Lob or Michaels} This can be pricey between $11-$20 dollars so make sure to use a 40% off coupon when buying
Your favorite pictures printed in color or black and white, reversed on laser printers only!




I tried these tiles both with pictures of friends and pictures of important places. By far the pictures of the places turned out better.




First up you need to print your picture. I placed my pictue in a word document and then reversed the image like you see here. You will be transposing the picture onto the stone so this is a very important step.






 
Using your sponge brush , brush a medium thick layer of gel matte medium over the top of your picture.





I then placed my tile, right side down, on top of my picture. Let dry at least 3-4 hours.



 Then run under COLD water until top layer of paper dissolves. Gently using your thumbs to roll away the top layer of paper.



Allow for the tile to dry completely and coat with one-two layers of Mod podge . These make a perfect gift just about for anyone. It just so happened that we used the College World Series to create coasters to gift to our coaches. So think of a favorite place to visit, eat or travel to and create a one of a kind gift.

I will be linking up and sharing at these great blogs  Show and Tell - Trendy Treehouse - Backyard Eden - Night Owl Crafting - Fire Flies and Jellybeans - Paisley Passions - Finding Fabulous - Black Cat Design -  Beyond the Picket Fence



6 comments:

  1. so so so COOL!!! Love it! great job. So different
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes -- those are adorable!!!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where'd you find your tiles? Love it, just paid someone else to do this for me on Etsy - wish I had seen this first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my tute... I LOVE your coasters!! I wonder if we could use the Flicker letters and combine tutorials! Wouldn't that look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun idea! These look so much better than the printed ones you pay so much for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to make some of these! I love having photos around the house that have memory. Great project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...