Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Garden Hand Scrub

I have been trying to come up with a teacher gift for teacher appreciation next week. Yep, ya’ll that’s next week!

Most of the teachers in my children’s lives have a vegetable garden or enjoy working in their flower beds. So I decided to make a garden hand scrub.
I used 8oz. jelly jars and filled them ¾ full of sugar, approximately 1 ½ cups.
Then I added liquid dish soap until it almost reached the top.
I was going to use my Mrs. Myers dish soap but saw this Dawn one with Olay in it and thought that would be perfect. And it smells divine!
Stir to mix soap and sugar together.I found that a butter knife worked best. You want the consistency to be paste like and not too runny or firm. So you may need to add more sugar/dish soap to get the correct consistency.
I added a cute label and ribbon and we are good-to-go!
To wash the dirt off your hands, use a small amount and rub. The sugar works like an exfoliate removing the dirt while the soap washes it all away.

* **Update- The labels come FREE with the jelly jars!***

 
Don’t forget a hand written note thanking them for all they do.

I will be sharing this at these fabulous sites Made It Monday - Show off your cottage - Junkin' Monday - The DIY Show Off- Toot Your Horn Tuesday - DIY Day - Show and TellGet Your Craft On - Trash to Treasure


27 comments:

  1. I would have loved to get this as a teacher! And I use the Olay Renewal soap, too - it *almost* makes washing the dishes enjoyable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Just beautiful (and useful too - I love useful gifts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea, but where did you get the cute labels and ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ribbon came from Hobby Lobby and the labels came FREE with the jelly jars. I just hand wrote the info on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!! I am totally using this one! I usually do homemade strawberry jam and a loaf of bread, but I have given up on my strawberry plants this year...
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a neat idea and you wrapped them up so thoughtfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea and very practical! i love the packaging you used.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so clever! I saw you at Today's Creative Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. How cute and practical too. Where did you get your labels from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! This would be amazing for birthdays or Christmas too! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this so very much! thank you so much for sharing, such a great way to get a bottle of soap to stretch over a few gifts. so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's a great idea! Thanks for the idea. :)
    And thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. I'll be checking in often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE, LOVE this idea!! Thanks so much for sharing all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey thanks for updating that the labels come with the jars. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate, my girls & I did this the other day & I posted about it & linked back to you. Thanks again!

    http://lessthanperfectlifeofbliss.blogspot.com/2010/05/super-easy-sugar-scrub.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did it!!! And my girls helped, too! I recycled some old candle jars, though. And I linked to you!
    http://pacountrycrafts.blogspot.com/2010/05/sugar-scrub-in-prettied-up-old-jars.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing! I can't wait to try this!

    - Donna (mystuff2.etsy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful and economical gift idea!

    I may have to make some of this as end of the year gifts for teachers!

    Thank you!

    I found your blog thru PACpountryCrafts blog :-)
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea and can't wait to try it!!!! Wow! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic idea! This will be on our to do list for sure!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing tutorial ! Loved this idea thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! I just made some of this and linked back to you :) Thanks!
    miamoodesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Found your blog on Mia Moo Designs. Love the idea and I'm going to give it a try. Thanks
    www.strawberryowl.blogspot.com
    I'm now a follower too:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How long does it store? If I make it now, will it store till Dec? or will the sugar dissolve?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just made a jar and LOVE it!!! Fantastic idea and great gift!!! This one is mine... more to come at Christmas... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...