Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tween Room Redo

It only took Hannah about 7.5 years to stop loving the color pink. With that track record, after this tween update, I should be good to go until she leaves for college!


Pepto Pink has been replaced with Martha Stewart’s Sharky Gray. A color I l LOVE and one that little man thought was so funny. “Hannah your room is going to be the color of a shark” he would say. At least there is no longer a pink glow shining behind closed doors.


Hannah has taken on her mommy’s love for travel and the city of New York. So we used that as our main inspiration. She had three things she wanted to incorporate into her room. Zebra, the color turquoise and travel. So this is what we came up with.


Remember the N.Y.C. I made using Wal-mart frames and my printer?


And the large New York, New York canvas that I painted?


Her bed went from pretty in pink





To a peppy chic black, white and turquoise dream. We ditched the dust ruffle and added this old trundle my dad had. And a new mattress that my sister gave me. Using her old pillows I sewed and recovered them with the Statue of Liberty.


Spray painted it with our trusty Bahama Breeze blue and tossed on the twin mattress. Perfect for all those sleepovers!



Gone was the hot pink over sized mirror.




Repurposed into a frame for square bulletin boards.


I have been longing to create a collage wall and her room fit the bill.


I used some old Goodwill frames and painted them in an off white.


Framed a few play bills from some shows she has seen.




Created a canvas with the state of New York on it. And updated some super cute owls we found at GW for $1.99.


The zebra bulletin board was a gift to her from a dear friend. We used it to highlight some things she has collected along her travels.


Repainted the “H” and mixed in some super cute square travel plates I found at Crate and Barrel.


Her desk was updated by simply painting the chair, adding a cute bird cage {GW} and a few items she picked up for her birthday.


Framed pictures that I took on our last trip to New York.





And see those curtains? I found the velvet blue panels at Goodwill, $2.99 for the set! I picked up 7 yards of fabric at a discount store for $3.99 a yard and sewed these cute ruffled topped panels for the windows. It was so much easier to use the blue panels as a base.


This total room redo was under $386.00 with the paint costing the most at $122.00 for 2 gallons of paint and 12 cans of spray paint.


And I have one tween smiling from ear to ear.

Linking up at all these great sites The Girl - Making the World Cute - DIY Showoff - Its so very Cheri - Southern Hospitality - Skip to my Lou - Giggles Glits & Glam - Craft Couture - Inspire Me Mondays - Todays Creative Blog - Mad Skills Monday -Show and Tell


19 comments:

  1. Wow, this is incredible! IT looks so great! I am sure she is loving it. I love anything zebra!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. out of this world!!!!! You did an incredible job!!! I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fabulous job, Kate! For under $500.00 you transformed your daughter's room into something that will be able to go through to college. She must just love it! The colors and patterns are wonderful and just the right amount of each. Great job! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool!! Love that room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the before and the after! both cute rooms :) lucky daughter! found you over at making the world cuter, come by for a visit sometime

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That room came out fantastic!!!! What a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's soooo darling! and definitely a room that she can grow into! my favorite is the transformation from the mirror to the bulletin board! we have a gallery wall, too! don't they add so much character?! stop by and say hi sometime! andiejaye @ http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, that is just darling! Any ideas for a sixteen yr. old boys room?? Boys are tough and I have four!!! Great post, thanks for always inspiring me!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok first off, she is beautiful! What a smile. Secondly, you all did a fantastic job, that room will carry her through college.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is absolutely INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful transformation! Great tips and tricks. Truly loving the NYC theme that you carried throughout. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an awesome transformation! I wish I had a cool room like that when I was younger! I'm going to feature this today on my blog! Thanks for shairng!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did SUCH a great job on the redesign. This room will last your daughter well into the time she is in your home. It is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your ideas and all the details! I linked to your post on my Friday Favorites over at Calico and Cupcakes. I know my readers will enjoy seeing your great room too! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute...new follower, found you on Scissors & Spatulas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This room is so chic! And your daughter is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, You were highlighted over at Rhoda's Thrifty Treasures. I was going to ask you where you found the beautiful "H," but I see it's been around awhile. Great transformation! Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an amazing room redo. I would love to sleep in that room myself! I found you through Centsationalgirl. After seeing this great makeover I plan on reading more!!

    ~Krisitna @ inspiredgoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello,

    I found your blog via Some What Simple and I am hooked just from this post and I am just getting started! I am absolutely floored by how you took everything that already was in her room and gave it brand new life. This is great inspiration for me as I know my daughter will soon grow out of her purple butterfly dream of a room!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...