Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Last Bat at Rosenblatt

Sadly I missed the team’s charter flight to Omaha due to a little thing called MY JOB! I had about 850 kids arriving to team camp and was committed to making sure they all got checked in and paid up.

So the kiddos and I got some bonding time with a little road trip to Omaha, NE. I was just sadden that daddy had to miss all the fun!
We jammed to hits from the ’80’s on XM radio. I am proud to say that my children now know Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper and all of M.J.’s famous hits. I am sure they have been scarred for life with my sing-along’s. I did manage to get them to listen to a few books on CD. All they wanted was Red Box movies.
Ryan has shown me many times how to use my GPS. I still like to go “Old School” with maps. It helps give the kids a visual of where we are going. And teach them how to read a map! I wished I had a dime for every time they asked me “mom are we lost?” Then I would just toss them a snack form our snack box to shut ‘em up!

One thing that we all understand now is why the call Nebraska the Huskers.
Did you know that between Topeka, KS and Omaha
Along a two lane HWY called 75 North there is exactly 48.2 MILES of nothing but corn?


Yep, no corn shortage here folks.
We spent 7 days in Omaha with 4 of them at Rosenblatt.




I took the kids over to look at a very full Missouri river.
They had this fabulous pedestrian bridge that we started to walk just as the sun was setting.
It was a gorgeous night so we walked all the way to Iowa and back {smile}!
Arriving for our 1:00 game the next day, at 10:30 in the morning, was lots of fun. The atmosphere around the College World Series reminds me a lot of Yankee stadium mixed with a bit of Mardi Gras on crack.
Lunch was at Zesto’s.
Zesto’s is to the CWS what the Empire State building is to NYC.
You have not experienced the CWS without a burger and shake from here.
And maybe a short cat nap in the sun.
Excited we made our way to the stadium.
Took in the view.
Watched the team line up.
And then they called the 1st rain delay.
We spent the next 4 hours on the team charter bus in the parking lot.

No T.V., radio, AC and just 10 kids all under the age of 10! No words can describe what went on inside.

Lucky me I had a bag of sunflower seeds.
The boys took turns having a spitting contest off the steps of the bus. Our poor bus driver was about to throw the towel in.
When they called the game back on.

We took our seats
Downed our $10 smoothies.
And decided it was time to take a nap on mommy’s lap.
And then it happened again. I have been to my fair share of baseball games with rain delays and extra innings, but this was insane.


Yet another 2 hour rain delay.
Finally we decided to take all the kids back to the hotel and watch the final innings of the game on T.V. So, after spending 11 hours at the stadium and mortgaging my home to feed the kids "healthy" ball park food, we WON!
Sadly the rain delays and extra innings ,over the next few games, was not enough to keep us playing and we had to make the trip back home.

We will be back... next year!


4 comments:

  1. Native Omahan -- there is almost always crazy weather during the CWS! The last few days were gorgeous! Are you ready for the new stadium next year? Great photos!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your pics and the Zesto's sign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I got to read about it on your blog and not experience it inside the bus : ) Great photo's of the trip.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading your blog off and on for several months, not even sure How I stumbled on it? I was catching up tonight and saw this post...my husband and boys were there too! We went 7 years ago and he vowed to get them back, one more child later and the last season at Rosenblatt when SC won the super regional he told the boys..."we're going" so he packed them up and drove 10 hours to spend 11 in the rain! But it was truly priceless and a great place to be if you're a baseball lover! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...