Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Homemade Cracker Jack's


I will use any excuse to make a batch of my favorite caramel corn. And yesterday I decided to turn it into Homemade Cracker Jack’s for the Fourth.

I started with my basic caramel corn recipe.


12 Cups air popped popcorn {NO microwave}
1 stick butter
1 Cup Light brown sugar
½ Cup Karo
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups beer peanuts


Preheat oven to 225.


Pop popcorn.
I love my A- bomb stove top popper. I have had it over16 years and it works like a charm every time. I use ½ cup kernels to ¼ cup oil and pop over med-high till popped.
I dump my popped corn into a deep baking roaster.
In a small stove top pot and melt butter, karo, brown sugar, salt on med heat stirring continually until it comes to a boil. Then I leave it be and let in boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and gently add vanilla and baking soda.
Pour over popped corn and stir till well coated. Place roaster in oven and bake for one hour stirring every 15 minutes. I added the nuts the last 30 minutes. Cool and package as need be.
I will be linking up today at these great sites Tempt My Tummy - Tuesday at The Table - Tasty Tuesday - Get Your Craft On - Make It Yours Day -


9 comments:

  1. I haven't had Cracker Jack in years! Your recipe looks and sounds so yummy - and I love the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love me some crackerjack!! :D So should I hide a toy in it? :D


    Thank you for sharing your recipe!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great idea-- i am going to do this for the 4th. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can you get the popcorn popper that you show in your pictures. All I can find is the whirly pop popcorn popper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous... I wished I could tell you where to find that popper. The store I purchased it from is no longer open. I have looked on line for years to purchase them for gifts, with no luck. I keep my fingers crossed that one day I will find them again. I promise to let everyone one know when I do... even if it takes me 30 years {smile}!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos....so festive! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...